Sunday, May 31, 2015

Smells Like Teen Spirit (AUSSIE CURVES: SONG)

I am a child of the '90s.

Flannels, ripped jeans, Doc MartensMy So-Called LifeEraserheads, they all influenced me in my formative years and can be thanked (or blamed) for who I am today.

I actually have a '70s dress I wanted to wear for this week's challenge because it's oh-so-cute. But for the life of me, I could not think of a song that will be appropriate.

On a cold autumn morning, while listening to Nirvana, I realised I should just be true to myself and interpret this challenge the way my heart tells me to.

This week's inspiration are two songs:


and




So here I am dressed as a '90s kid. Or more specifically, as Angela Chase.




The Guru got free tickets to this awesome cinema





and went last Sunday to watch Tomorrowland. The film featured one of my favourite actors - no, not George Clooney, but Dr. House himself, Hugh Laurie. Also Life Unexpected's (why must awesome show end?) star, Britt Robertson. The real gem of the movie was the girl who played Athena, who looked eerily like Audrey Hepburn.  Or at least, how Audrey probably looked as a child.

But I digress.



Awkward pose/smile - I am still not used to posing in public




Plaid babydoll from Dotti (this must have been so popular because I bought this few months ago, and they recently restocked it), random tights, heat-tech from UNIQLO, and black nappa 1460s.

The leather jacket is not Angela Chase, but I could not find my denim jackets - still have not finished sorting stuff in our new place.

I would like to say this was how I dressed when I was a teenager but I would be lying - I didn't wear dresses until later. I was an insecure teen (inside, because I always faked confidence and I think got away with it most of the time) who was considerably bigger than the rest of my highschool and even uni batch (I was 5'7", and 160 lbs who ballooned to 190lbs by the end of HS and probably 200+ lbs by the end of pre-med - in a sea of 5ft tall 100 pounders). I was always in flannel or band shirts, my dad's sports shirts, ripped jeans, and either Doc Martens or Converse. I didn't wear a drop of makeup, either. Actually, I didn't learn how to wear makeup until I started in the corporate world - and I still don't wear makeup if I don't have to until now. I remember obsessing over black lipstick toward the end of uni, but I did not have the guts to wear it so it just sat in my room until I forgot about it. My form of rebellion, if you will, was getting my ears pierced - I added two piercings/ear, to the one piercing/ear my mom got me as a baby (it must have been, because I don't remember getting it).

So that's it for this week's Aussie Curves. See you next week for BLACK.

"With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid, and contagious...."







No comments:

Post a Comment