Friday, February 13, 2015

Aussie Curves - Festival: So I start a revolution from my head...

I've attended quite a number of concerts, but only one music festival. Before Midsumma, my idea of what I'd wear for the Festival theme is something like this. Very Angela Chase. Very My So-Called Life. The one TV show I could relate to growing up.


Ah, the hallway scene. Nothing else can make my inner adolescent shriek.

In my mind, I was Angela Chase. I wanted crimson hairbabydoll dresses with boots - I wanted a a Jordan Catalano. I got the hair - well, there was no Crimson Glow available, so I made do with a reddish shade from either Revlon or L'oreal. I got the plaid dresses. I got the boots.

But I had no Jordan Catalano.

Actually, I did not have a boyfriend until I was already in grad school. And when I took off my Angela goggles I discovered I was more into (and ended up with) the Brian Krakow type. You know, highly intelligent, geeky, and just a touch socially awkward, but I digress.

In the real world, I'd only wear a dress if I don't have to sit in the grass. Plus, I'd have to wear undergarment slips - either the skirt version called "half slip" or the shorts, petti leg slip or "pantilet" - because well, I grew up wearing pantilets. Either those or cycling shorts. It was actually the norm back home - at least in my small town. All girls wore one under school uniforms. And they're ridiculously inexpensive, like $1-$2 for cotton ones.

When I moved to Manila for college,  I carried on the practice to the amusement of my friends (Manila was less conservative) and to this day, I'm not comfortable wearing a dress or a skirt without something other than panties underneath.

So it'd be more practical to wear shorts. Also, I learned that most festivals are held during summer, so the black tights? Not really a good idea.

With this in mind, I engaged in a DIY project - denim shorts. I have several pairs of denim shorts, but they don't fit well anymore and I've earmarked them for donation. I had a pair of boyfriend jeans that I bought on sale from Hot Options/Target for $10. They were cute but I tossed them inside the closet after I bought them, forgot about them, and now they ended up being too slouchy on me. Story of my life. I have been meaning to cut them off, but was always apprehensive because I thought it'd be a waste to do so. But then it'd make less sense to let them gather dust unworn, no?

So I cut them off




folded the hem, did some sloppy stitches (I can't sew to save my life), and voila - denim shorts. Looking at the picture I think I should have folded the hem up even more to create better proportion, but this will do for now.






I'm also wearing my mint top from Emerson at Big W, on clearance for around $3 or $4 a few months ago. It looks like the sticker would come off easily, but it's intact so far. The shirt says

Never Stop Dreaming.

Or, in Aunty Acid's words, "Don't give up on your dreams. Keep sleeping." :P




The blue parka is from Forever New - I had a coupon for 15% off, so I got this for around $128. A few weeks after I bought the blue, they annoyingly came out with a black version.  I couldn't resist, bought one, then came to senses and returned them. I just tell myself I don't like shiny black fabric with shiny gold hardware anyway. The parka has deep pockets too, so you can get away with not bringing a bag and just put your wallet, mobile phone, and most important - your sunblock stick - inside the pockets. The hood and the waterproof fabric will protect me against sudden outbursts - hey, I live in Melbourne. It's true what they say, if you don't like the weather in Melbourne, wait five minutes!

Of course, the star of this outfit is my pair of floral Doc Martens Mini Tydee. They are perfect for music festivals and other outdoors-y activities because the soles are oil, fat, acid, petrol, alkali resistant (albeit not proof). These were actually the first pair I got when I arrived here in Australia. I got them last year from the Glue Clearance store in QV Square on sale for I think $130. I just realised I got everything in this picture on discount! Incidentally, the store is currently having their End of Lease sale, so you might want to check that out. They did not have any Doc Martens left when I checked out the sale though.

I did not experience any pain or blisters, no breaking-in period for this pair of boots, but this could be because of the softer leather material and that they're a full size larger than my usual 1460 Dr. Martens size. Actually, I just found out that I'm a UK6.5 for the 1460, and a UK6 for the 1461 and the 8065 Mary Janes so this particular pair is actually 1.5 sizes larger. Nothing that a pair of really thick socks won't solve though.

Speaking of music, Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes fame is going to have a concert here in Melbourne this month. I was a fan of Bright Eyes, but admittedly not able to follow his career afterwards. I might still go, though, since I live very near the Melbourne Zoo anyway. The announcement says it's going to be an all-weather event, so this outfit will be perfect!

Keep rockin', everyone, and hope you're all enjoying your Valentines Day. ♥♥♥

p.s.

So I've been revisiting MSCL (it seems to be a twice a year thing for me, like my tradition to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind every Valentines Day) and I just noticed that the lead singer of Buffalo Tom looks like Mark Zuckerberg. So if you want to see how Mark will look twenty years from now, look for current pictures of Bill Janovitz. :D

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not as funky as your tie-dye dress! :)

      Delete
  2. I love my so called life and agree with your lusting after angela (and jordan). Great festival outfit and you did a good job on those shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I want to hack off more jeans! :D

      Delete